On 19 October 2016, following a unanimous vote of support from Assembly Members, the Assembly Commission agreed to explore the feasibility of establishing a Welsh Youth Parliament, and the Llywydd, Elin Jones AM, announced her intention to establish a Welsh Youth Parliament.
Since this announcement, we, the Assembly Commission, have been busy working with young people and adults from organisations that work with and/or promote the views and needs of young people in Wales, to develop the key features of a youth parliament for the people of Wales to consider. These representatives have come together to form the Youth Parliament Steering Group (Steering Group) and include members from the following national youth organisations in Wales: Children’s Commissioner for Wales, Youth Cymru, Urdd, Children in Wales, NUS Wales, Wales Observatory for Human and Children’s Rights, CWVYS, Scouts Cymru, GirlGuiding Cymru, Young Farmers Wales, Principal Youth Officer’s Group and CYPAW.
The next step of the journey is to find out what young people, and those professionals who work with young people, think about our proposal to establish a new Welsh Youth Parliament.
HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED IN THE CONSULTATION?
The consultation will be open 28 April 2017 – 30 June 2017.
1. The Assembly Commission Education and Youth Engagement Team are available to attend schools and youth organisations across Wales to deliver a 60 minute workshop to gather the views and opinions of young people and professionals
2. The Youth Parliament Steering Group will be working to gather views of young people they work with
3. Complete the consultation online – via our website and social media
4. Attend one of our organised events; dates and locations to be confirmed
5. Suggest an event for us to attend to promote the consultation
6. Help promote the consultation through your newsletters and social media channels
If you are interested in taking part in the consultation, would like to help promote the consultation, or have any questions about the Youth Parliament for Wales, please either get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org or contact a member of the team directly. We are anticipating a big demand for workshops, so book early to avoid disappointment. We will do our best to accommodate everyone where possible.
This is a truly exciting opportunity for the young people of Wales, and we hope that we can meet as many of them as possible to give them the opportunity to participate in this consultation.
Thank you very much!